Tuesday, March 31, 2015

War of the Spanish Succession - 30mm Flats



I've hit a bit of a lull in terms of new things to post. Still painting, but nothing quite ready yet. Here's some filler, flats that I painted some 20 + years ago.  I have to say, my style then was a bit blander when it comes to colors and less proficient in shading.  Still, better eyesight and steadier hands made for more precise work so there has been a gradual tradeoff over the years.

The photo on top and the one below are figures from the WSS staff officers set from Golberg. They closed the shop several years back, not sure what has become of the molds.



Here's a set of Austrian dragoons, the editor is Siegbert Wagner.  He had a lot of WSS sets, as I recall you could get the horse in standing, walking/trotting and galloping poses. I don't recall why I opted for this static group.





I liked dealing with Wagner. Although he spoke no English, thus in that pre-internet era everything was done by means of sending letters, obtaining catalog sheets then sending international money orders.  I don't know what has become of Herr Wagner as I believe he was already a mature gentleman at that time.  I also have his set of 300 WSS uniform plates, black and white line drawings with German text.  Again, these pre-date the ease of buying the Hall CD's although they had a charm of their own.  If anyone is interested, I could post a few examples.

Here's a set Austrian infantry advancing, Kieler figures.




Not every man was in accord with the plan to assault the enemy guns.

I hope you enjoyed the old figures, although perhaps my photos didn't do justice to the castings.

16 comments:

  1. Less proficient? Stunning painting and I love the dust cloud at the feet of the fleeing soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Springinsfeld. Yes, the dust cloud serves a dual purpose nicely: conveys action and it makes for a stronger figure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Tony. When I uploaded the photos, I saw that I had partially blocked my light source, had to brighten up the contrast a bit to compensate for it but the colors are true to life.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Rather like the PA's in that the profile view is what works, although of course it's even more an all or nothing proposition with the flats.

      Delete
  4. Those are great! Love them. I quite like a standing horse; rings the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Simon.

      And I do apologize for being a deadbeat about commenting at the BigRedBatCave. For some reason, just can't bring myself to mess around with my Google account. Love what you've been doing with the Romans though and congrats on the rule set !

      Cheers,
      Steve

      Delete
  5. Most enjoyable. More pics of older figures would be great.

    It was more work to spend money of figures wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross. You're quite right, the comparative ease of internet commerce these days really makes the "good old days" not very good at all in that respect.

      I'll have to see what else I can dig up. These figures had been put away in boxes. In searching for them, I was a bit taken aback to see how many 30mm WSS flats I've actually accumulated over the years, I really need to rethink making something of them. I've got enough painted ones to scrape together a small army right now although the nationalities don't match up.

      Steve

      Delete
  6. A really deeply impressing post, thank you for showing us such precious things. I like, in particular, the light blue you use in different figures. Is that the bleumourant or a sky blue? It looks so fine, I am thinking to paint my figures also with this tone.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's most kind of you to say so, Peter. But the figures were painted so long ago, I have no idea which paint I used at the time.

      Delete
  7. really beautiful. Thanks for posting these. I REALLY want to take a stab at painting the few flats that I bought last year. It's intimidating, but your pics are inspiring to see what can be done with them.

    Daler240d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. All I can say is give your flats a go ! If you can paint a wargames figure, you can paint a flat.

      Delete
  8. Marvelous, really marvelous. I am hanging with my eyes on each picture several minutes, adoring the details, the colors and the compositions you did. You are really a Master, Sir! I am deeply impressed.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete